Thursday, August 19, 2010

...Allow me to explain

In northern Indiana, I'm as Midwest as Midwest gets. I, like many people the country over, find myself giving up driving for many reasons, not the least of which is financial. But I'm gong to make the best of it and bike and bus my way around. And until the weather turns unbearable (December?) it will be all bike.

Here, I will chronicle my struggles against the elements of destruction, the largest of which are the weather and my muscles. Through my journey I hope to enlighten the minds and light the paths of burgeoning cyclists like myself...or at least get a good laugh at my own expense.

For now I am riding the 20$ thrift shop bike my sister loaned me which is a Huffy mountain bike and not really tailored for everyday street use. I should come out with it now that I know nothing about cycling. In college I had some cyclist friends, but all I remember about them was that they were hippies and they occasionally let passing cyclist nomads (hobos?) stay at their house. Since my apartment is small and I don't like fleas, I won't be doing that.

On the back of the bike sits a baby carrier, which is lovely for hauling my bags and a change of clothes for work. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure drivers think I am a terrible mother for dragging my duffel-bag baby around in sweltering summer heat.

I'm selling my car as soon as possible and spending a few bucks on a nicer street bike. I don't know much about what's good in a bike. I do know I want a seat with excessive amounts of gel and cushion. There's no such thing as too much gel. I want to feel like I'm sitting on a giant pile of squished bananas.

Tomorrow I start. Tomorrow I roll the path. Tomorrow. Tonight I sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I am buying a road bike this weekend or next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm sure I'll need it ;-)

    ReplyDelete